Friday 11 July 2014

Books and Holidays Special Guest Post by Jenny Marsden

Welcome to Comet Babes Books, Jenny, we look forward to hear what you think about books and holidays.

I love books that are set somewhere a bit different from the normal settings of every day life. Books that take you on a journey to other parts of the world have always been my favourite to read about because it’s all about escapism isn’t it? And the ultimate escapism for me is being transported to another country entirely. I’ve read a couple of books which are set or partly set in other parts of the world and here are a few of them;

The Beach by Alex Garland



This is my all-time favourite book and the movie adaption is my all-time favourite movie. It’s about a young traveller called Richard who goes to Thailand and stumbles across a map to a secluded beach paradise. He meets a French couple and together they all set out to find “The Beach”. This book is set in various places in Thailand including Koh Phangan and Maya Bay on Koh Phi Phi Ley, which is the smaller of the Phi Phi islands. I love the contrasts between the places featured in this book but ultimately it just makes me want to pack my bag and hop on a plane to Thailand!

A Jersey Affair by Georgina Troy



I read this book recently as part of a tour and the majority of the book is set in Jersey (in case you hadn’t guessed by the title). I’ve never been before but Georgina makes it sound like a beautiful place. The main character in the book, Paige, gets jilted at the alter on her wedding day but decided to go on their honeymoon to Sorrento, Italy anyway so the beginning of the book is set in Sorrento and it makes me want to go on holiday!

The Guestbook by Holly Martin



This book is a series of guestbook entries from guests at Willow Cottage, a homely guest cottage run by a lovely lady called Annie Butterworth and the second you start reading it you instantly want to run away and stay in Willow Cottage. I stayed in a cottage in Wales last month and although The Guestbook isn’t set in Wales, it really reminds me of my holiday and makes me want to go back.

The First Christmas Without You by Michelle Betham



This book is set in Lapland and I absolutely loved it. I’ve never been to Lapland before but Michelle makes it sounds so beautiful in this emotional and heart-warming book. Her descriptions are fantastic and although I read this in Spring - not the ideal time for a Christmas story - it made me completely forget about the sunshine outside and want to curl up by a fire with a hot chocolate. The characters in the book also have the opportunity to see the Northern Lights which is something I’ve always wanted to do.

If you would like to see more from Jenny check out the links below. 

Twitter:
@jennymarsden_xo
Facebook:
https:www. facebook.com/Jennyin neverland

Thank you Jenny for your wonderful guest post.

Jo xx

1 comment: