Friday 1 August 2014

Books and Holidays Guest Post by Stephanie Rothwell

Today I would like to welcome Stephanie Rothwell with her books and holidays post.



Books have been a vital part of my summer holiday for years. The first thing I would do after checking in at the airport wasn't to hit the nearest bar but to head for the bookshop and browse all the airport exclusive novels. I'd buy up to four of them and along with the 10 or so in my suitcase I would be set up for the two weeks sunbathing on a beach. 

Nowadays I have a kindle  which takes away the worry of a luggage weight allowance, but I still head for the airport exclusives.  I find though, that some of the books are released earlier on the kindle plus I receive arc copies from some publishers.

I like to read books that are set in places I have visited. I spent a weekend in Belfast recently and bought a book by Adrian McKinty. It's the first in a series which hopefully I will enjoy as a novel and also retracing my steps around Belfast recognising places I had visited.

Last summer we went to New York, one of the people we went with is a shopping addict and she just couldn't get her head around the fact that the only shop I was interested in visiting was The Mysterious Bookshop in TriBeCa. The shop was amazing, floor to ceiling shelves cram packed with crime fiction. You needed a ladder to get to the top couple of shelves. I would go back just to visit that alone!  I bought two, both if which were available here but I just had to!

I usually read crime fiction but I do like to read different genres when I'm on holiday. Family sagas are always good. My last different holiday read was 'Confessions of a Fashionista' by Angela Clarke which was very good. 


For me my holiday time is an ideal time to read something out of my comfort zone.

Thanks for you post Stephanie!

Jo xx

Find Stephanie on Twitter @sjroth

No comments:

Post a Comment