Friday 19 September 2014

Guest Post Book Boyfriends/Hot Men in books by AL Michaels


For my blogaversary I asked the question, Who is your Book Boyfriend/Hot Men in Books?  I have some great responses, today AL Michaels talks about leading men


What Happens When Your Leading Man is an Arse, and Other Romantic Problems

So, I wrote this novel. A romantic, snarky comedy about a guy and a girl and the trouble they get into when they have to work together. The problem? Harry’s kind of an arsehole. Don’t get me wrong, I love him. Eventually, Tabby loves him. Hopefully, my readers love him. But it’s a classic case of Mr Darcy-ism. You meet him and he’s stuck up and supercilious and irritating. And he loves being that way. 

In real life, I’m not sure I’d put up with that. I’m pretty sure first impressions count for a lot, and even if someone does gradually reveal themselves to be a decent human being, it takes quite a lot of really excellent behaviour to undo all that damage.

What’s so wrong with Harry? Well, he has money. He knows he’s gorgeous. He thinks he can use this to his advantage. Girls throw themselves at him, and he never says the wrong thing. The funny thing is, Harry would have continued along like this quite happily if he’d never met Tabby. She makes him nervous and awkward and geeky, and gets under his skin. I don’t think we give nerd girls enough credit for just how much they can destroy a man’s bravado. Which is an excellent skill to have.

So you’ve got a brash, passionate woman, and a guy who’s usually in control of his feelings, and you give them a deadline and make them work together for an extended period of time until....voila! They get angry. And then they get attracted. And then they cause drama. Then they fix it and they’re happy! The end!

Luckily, this is not the way of the world. Or at least I hope not, as it sounds bloody exhausting. But who doesn’t love a good old fashioned bit of drawn out sexual tension?

Thank you!

Follow at:

No comments:

Post a Comment