Tuesday 2 September 2014

Waiting for Doggo by Mark B Mills


What They Say:

No-one ever called Dan a pushover. But then no-one ever called him fast-track either. He likes driving slowly, playing Sudoku on his iPhone, swapping one scruffy jumper for another. He's been with Clara for four years and he's been perfectly happy; but now she's left him, leaving nothing but a long letter filled with incriminations and a small, white, almost hairless dog, named Doggo. So now Dan is single, a man without any kind of partner whether working or in love. He's just one reluctant dog owner. Find a new home for him, that's the plan. Come on...everyone knows the old adage about the best laid plans and besides, Doggo is one special kind of a four legged friend...and an inspiration.

What I Say:

I would like to thank Headline and Frances Gough for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

At the beginning of the book we read a letter from Clara to Dan, explaining that she is leaving him and  the reasons why, this wouldn’t be much of a problem but Clara had got a dog (Doggo) from Battersea Dog and Cat Home a couple of weeks previous.  Dan and Doggo don’t get on with each other.  

I fell in love with Doggo from page one, yes he is small, white and almost hairless but you can’t but love him by the way the author describes him.  Even down to his obsession with Jennifer Aniston.  I loved how Dan slowly came to love Doggo, defending him when the lady at Battersea suggested he had his bits chopped off, proving someone wrong when they suggested he had done his business in her office.

The book is about the discovery of Dan and Doggo’s companionship or friendship whichever way you look at it and about moving forward after someone else leaves you behind.  It is also about the choices we make in life, do we do the right thing? or climb up the ladder to suit ourselves?

I liked Dan as he was an easily likeable character, laid back in a lot of ways, although left in a tough situation he looked after Doggo and their bond grew over the weeks following Clara leaving.

I loved how this was written with the story flowing with ease; I picked this up at lunch time on a Saturday and didn’t put it down until I had finished late on the Saturday night.

This is a brilliant story with loads of interesting characters, some I loved, and some I didn’t, that's life but I love how the story around Dan and Doggo was told.

It really is so easy to fall in love with Dan and Doggo, it's a must read, feel warm and fuzzy book.  I want a Doggo in my life unfortunately unlike Dan I wouldn't be able to take him to work.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment