Tuesday 1 December 2015

Interview with Misty Shaw

Misty Shaw


Hi 

Welcome to Comet Babes Books

Can you tell us about your story in Christmas Wish Come True?
Dreaming of a White Wedding is a twin switch story based on the South Coast of England. Scarlet is a London Theatre Make up artist and her identical Twin Cressida runs a party planning business. When Cress gets an opportunity she couldn’t pass up the sister switch places so her sister will not renege on the contracts she already has, but can plan an out of the world Twelfth night party 

What is your favourite thing about Christmas? 
I love spending time with my family and all the food; I have a penchant for mince pies. 

What are your future book plans?
I am currently working on a first person story Cookie Magic Bakery and have a sketchy out line for a gothic style book, totally different to what I normally write. 

What inspired you to take up writing? 
Mrs. Longmire my High School English teacher always encouraged us to write stories mostly fan based ones on the books that we had been reading In class. II think it also helped I grew up with the Lancashire Witch legend; I loved to read anything to do with them and often thought of writing my own version of their story. It’s hard to pin point a time when I haven’t wanted to write. 

Are any of your characters based on people you know? 
Yes Scarlet and Cressida are based on three people. My Daughter Kell, whose organizational skills are second to none. And her two high school friend’s identical twins Shannon and Bridie. The twins were always switching places at school and even as they got older they would still trick people they knew by being the other, 

Do you have a support network for your writing? 
Yes I belong to a critique group on face book. 

What items are on your desk/where you write? 
My cup of tea and sometimes my portable dvd player with Pride and Prejudice playing. I can’t seem to write in complete silence so at least with Austen I can just listen to it as I write. 

What's the worst advice you have ever received? 
You will never get anywhere with you’re writing you may as well give up. 

What's the best/worst thing about social media? 
I think the best thing is that you can talk to like-minded people, as writing is normally a solitary occupation. The worst thing about social media is it can distract you too much when you should be doing other things. 

Have you ever heard a strange/different story that you thought would be great in a book? 
Yes there have been several unusual true crimes and deaths that I thought would make a great story. Maybe one day I will pen them down. 

Can you share a sneak peak at what you're working on at the moment?

The old Victorian Church was covered with hundreds of dangling, shining metallic ceiling decorations silver reds and gold’s of various shapes and sizes, the church committee always went over board. They attempted to out do the church in the next parish for the best decorations. A large wooden nativity scene stood in one corner, it had an aged look but had been beautifully carved, and the figures had serene looks on their faces.
More serene than how I felt, harassed was more the point; with any luck this would be my last fete. Hoping beyond hope that my offer on the old bakery in the high street would be accepted. The elderly vicar wandered rather slowly to where my stall was. He looked over eighty at least and many were surprised that he was still taking daily services and always refused the bishop’s suggestion of extra help. ‘Jenny King, such a pleasure to have you here again. You’re cookies always go down well.’
‘Thank you,” I said and returned his smile. He wandered off to greet the other stallholders. Having set up my stall with the cookie baskets and my own special truffles, this year I had made some citrus once combining lemon and lime together. Just a little dash of each but they did taste delicious.
 The church was always raising funds for their various projects and so I gave twenty five percent of my takings to them. A lot only gave ten percent; the ladies from the mothers’ union had stalls for the church anyway.
Silent night played quietly in the background: one of my favorite carols. A large Christmas tree stood in the corner, the tinsel glinting in the candlelight.
I was just setting up my stall in the church for the yearly Christmas Fete. I used a plain black cloth to cover the table and my baskets and truffles created the colour.


Thank You!


Christmas Wish Come True: All I Want For Christmas / Dreaming of a White Wedding / Christmas Every Day

Dreaming of a White Wedding

When Scarlet discovered her husband-to-be in bed with her bridesmaid, she called off her Valentine’s wedding and ran away to London. But when her sister asks for her help, she can’t refuse…even if it means coming face-to-face with her ex – the man she never stopped loving!


Misty Shaw writes contemporary romance surrounded by her family, who are always a source of inspiration and amusement. She would love to have afternoon tea with Jane Austen and Elizabeth Bennet her favourite author and heroine. Originally hailing from Burnley Lancashire, within the shadow of Pendle Hill, synonymous with the Pendle Witches, she now lives a stone throw from the beautiful Peak District. Writing isn't a job for Misty, it's a way of life - she couldn't imagine not writing romantic stories. 

Find out more at word enlightenment@blogspot.com

or join me on twitter @chazmac76


No comments:

Post a Comment