Monday 2 November 2015

Interview with Sam Tonge




Hi Sam


Welcome to Comet Babes Book’s. 

Can you tell us about your book? 
It is the standalone sequel to my bestselling summer book, Game of Scones. It is a journey of self-discovery for Pippa, who must decide if she really can leave glitzy London to settle with exotic fisherman Niko, in a quaint Greek village. Think Christmas, weddings, refugee problems, a love triangle... it’s all there. And, of course, two VERY hot book boyfriends! 

Can you tell us about your writing process? 
I always write the synopsis first as this makes the plot clear in my head before I start. Then I will roughly plan out the chapters, but I do let my characters lead me where they want to. After that, off I go… I am lucky to write full-time as my children are older now. 

How old were you when you started writing? 
I attempted a novel in my twenties, but then nothing until my late thirties when my youngest child started school. I always knew that one day I would write, though. 

Do you have a favourite place you like to write and why? 
I am a creature of habit, so it has to be in my office (ahem, the spare room!). I am not one of those writers who can just camp out in a coffee shop with a laptop. But that is my personality – I don’t like surprises unless I know about them first! 

What inspired you to take up writing? 
It was just a gut feeling that one day I would write. I was a voracious reader as a child, reading books in the bath even (and dropping them in the water!), encouraged by my mum. I suspect that massively contributed. 

Are any of your characters based on people you know? 
Yes. Six foot four, gorgeous half- Dutch Henrik from Game of Scones and My Big Fat Christmas Wedding is partly based on a Dutch flight attendant I met on a trip back from Japan last year. He crouched down to talk to me for a while, on the flight, and a month or so later I mentioned the encounter on Twitter. KLM offered to track him down, which they did. Frank and I have been friends ever since and he sent me some photos to promote my summer book A lovely man. 

Do you have a support network for your writing? 
Yesss – thank goodness! My fellow Carina authors are so supportive, as are other writers I have got to know during my ten years of being online. It has also been a joy to become friends with some readers. Plus I have had the privilege of getting to know some very lovely, generous bloggers, such as yourself. 

What's the worst advice you have ever received? 
“Don’t worry about writing for the market”. In my opinion, that is usually a big mistake if you want your work to get published. I do write from the heart but I keep an eye on what is selling at the moment. 

Do you like it quiet when you're writing or do you need background noise?(music or TV) 
Quiet – I even used to wear earplugs sometimes! I do like music on, though, when I am doing promotional work. 

If one of your books was made into a film/TV series, who would you like as the leading lady/man? 
Well, I think a younger version of the new Russian dancer Gleb, from Strictly Come Dancing, would be great as exotic Niko in My Big Fat Christmas Wedding – mmmm! 

Can you share a sneak peak at what you're working on at the moment? 
Well, it is out in the spring and features a gorgeous man who is every woman’s best friend… and sorry, that is all I can say at the moment! But I should have more out news soon! I loved writing this story - it just flew onto the page…. 

What's the best/worst thing about social media? 
The best? Interacting with writers, readers and bloggers. The worst? It eats up so much time! 


Any tips for writers who are just starting out? 
Never give up - and keep an eye on the market. 

Non-book questions 


Favourite holiday place? 
Kyoto in Japan. 

Favourite food? 
Pizza! 

What kind of music do you listen to? 
Cheesy pop music and swing 

Favourite film? 
Ooh. Has to be Grease. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve watched it 

Favourite Chocolate? 
Anything with peanut butter in! 

Favourite drink? 
A Mojito. 


Thank You!

Thanks for having me here! xx 



Samantha Tonge lives in Cheshire with her lovely family and a cat that thinks it’s a dog. When not writing, she spends her days cycling and willing cakes to rise. She has sold over 80 short stories to women’s magazines. Her bestselling debut novel, Doubting Abbey, was shortlisted for the Festival of Romantic Fiction best Ebook award in 2014. Her summer 2015 novel Game of Scones hit #5 in the UK Kindle chart.




Things don’t always run smoothly in the game of love…

As her Christmas wedding approaches, a trip back to snowy England for her ex’s engagement party makes her wonder if those are wedding bells she’s hearing in her mind, or warning bells. She longs for the excitement of her old London life – the glamour, the regular pedicures. Can she really give that all up to be…a fishwife?

There’s nothing for it but to throw herself into bringing a little Christmas magic to the struggling village in the form of a Christmas fair. Somewhere in amidst the sparkly bauble cakes and stollen scones, she’s sure she’ll come to the right decision about where she belongs…hopefully in time for the wedding…


Perfect for fans of Lindsey Kelk and Debbie Johnson. Don’t miss the Christmas Wedding of the year!

Links
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SamTongeWriter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SamanthaTongeAuthor
Website: http://samanthatonge.co.uk/
AmazonUK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Big-Fat-Christmas-Wedding-ebook/dp/B00XAFSXFG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1444041016&sr=1-1&keywords=my+big+fat+christmas+wedding
AmazonUS: http://www.amazon.com/My-Big-Fat-Christmas-Wedding-ebook/dp/B00XAFSXFG/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8





No comments:

Post a Comment