Tuesday 4 March 2014

Interview with Emma Adams

I have been granted an interview with the lovely Emma Adams, author of The Puppet Spell and Darkness Watching.



About Emma
Emma spent her childhood creating imaginary worlds to compensate for a disappointingly average reality, so it was probably inevitable that she ended up writing fantasy and paranormal for young adults. She was born in Birmingham, UK, which she fled at the first opportunity to study English Literature at Lancaster University. In her three years at Lancaster, she hiked up mountains, skydived in Australia, and endured a traumatic episode involving a swarm of bees in the Costa Rican jungle. She also wrote various novels and short stories. These included her first publication, a rather bleak dystopian piece, and a disturbing story about a homicidal duck (which she hopes will never see the light of day).

Now a reluctant graduate, she can usually be found in front of her writing desk, creating weird and wonderful alternative worlds. Her debut novel The Puppet Spell, published in January2013 by Rowanvale Books, is a fantasy tale for young adults and the young at heart, inspired by her lifelong love of the fantastical, mythology, and video games. Emma also writes supernatural fantasy novels for older teens and adults. Her next book, Darkness Watching, is the first in the upper-YA/New Adult Darkworld series, and was published in October 2013 by Curiosity Quills Press.


Q&A
How old were you when you started writing?
I’ve always written, but it was when I was ten that my teacher first suggested that I could be a writer. And that was it: I knew what I wanted to do with my life! But it wasn’t until I was 14 or 15 that I started writing novels, and I was 18 when I first started submitting my books to agents and publishers.

Who are your favourite writers?
To name a few: J.K. Rowling, Neil Gaiman, Garth Nix, Diana Wynne Jones, Philip Pullman, Derek Landy, Cassandra Clare, Julie Kagawa…I’m going to stop there, but the list goes on!

What books did you read as a child?
I grew up with the Harry Potter series, so that’s the first thing that springs to mind! I also loved fantasy books by Philip Pullman and Diana Wynne Jones. When I was a bit younger, I read all of Roald Dahl’s books, and The Worst Witchseries. I lived in the library!

Do you have a support network for your writing?
I’m very lucky that my family and friends are very supportive of my writing, but I’m also part of the wider writing community online (especially on Twitter).

What items are on your desk/where you write?
I have a very cluttered desk. :P I always have diet coke on hand (caffeine is a necessity!), and also lots of post-it notes and lists and a calendar marked with all my deadlines. I also do some of my planning by hand so I have notebooks scattered everywhere as well. It’s quite chaotic!

Do you have a routine for your writing?
I try to! I work from home as a freelance editor so I tend to write in the mornings, before I’m swamped with work and emails. Writing every day is the aim, and I try to get at least 1000 words. But I do work irregular hours, and sometimes get struck by inspiration in the middle of the night!

Any tips for writers who are just starting out?
Try to meet other writers and build a support network. Writing is a lonely and often discouraging business and most writers work at their craft for years without seeing any return. But it’s a constant learning process and being published isn’t the be-all-and-end-all. I’ve built some great friendships with other writers over the years, and critique partners are essential.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
When I’m not writing my own books, I’m usually editing other people’s! To relax, I read and play video games. I also love to travel.

Do you like it quiet when you're writing or do you need background noise?(music or TV)
I used to write in complete silence, but I’m easily distracted by intrusive noises, so now I always have background music, usually soundtracks.

Favourite holiday place?
Of the places I’ve been, I love Italy and Australia. But I’d love to visit New Zealand!

Favourite film?
Has to be The Lord of the Rings – no competition there!

Favourite Chocolate?
Cadbury’s, without a doubt. Fun fact: Cadbury World is only a twenty-minute walk from where I live!


I would like to thank Emma for agreeing to this interview.  Please check out her books now.

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment