Friday 30 October 2015

Interview with Katey Lovell

Katey Lovell


Hi Katey

Welcome to Comet Babes Book’s.

Can you tell us how you felt when you discovered you were to become a published author?
I couldn’t believe it when I got the call saying Harper Impulse wanted to publish the Meet Cute series! Although I loved the premise I wasn’t sure any of the major publishers would take them on as they’re such short reads. I wanted to jump up and down when I was offered the deal, but managed to restrain myself until I got off the phone!

Can you tell us about your books?
The Meet Cute series are short romantic stories about the moment a couple meet – the ‘once upon a time’ before the ‘happily ever after’. So far Harper Impulse have announced three stories, The Boy in the Bookshop, The Boy at the Beach and The Boy at the Bakery, but there’s more to come too! They’re just the right length for people with busy lives, perfect for commuters and most of all are sweet reads about ordinary people meeting someone special for the first time.

Do you have a support network for your writing?
I’m very fortunate to have a fabulous support network. I’m a member of the RNA (Romantic Novelists’ Association) and so many authors I’ve met through there have been supportive. I’ve also made friends with many authors through Twitter and they’ve been wonderful, plus my fellow Harper Impulse authors. There’s an acknowledgement at the end of The Boy in the Bookshop thanking specific authors who’ve been especially helpful right from the start, although I could have made a much longer list as the writing community is full of supportive people. It’s fantastic!

Do you like it quiet when you're writing or do you need background noise?(music or TV)
I nearly always write in silence. I often listen to music that’ll help me get into a certain frame of mind before sitting down to write, but generally find any background noise a distraction. I couldn’t imagine I’d be very productive in a busy environment either!

Can you share a sneak peak at what you're working on at the moment?
I’m actually in the very early stages of a new project, so it’s not yet at a ‘sharable’ stage! It’s a fun romance about a group of friends and their love lives and I’m really enjoying writing it. It’s set in Sheffield where I live, so I’m loving seeing the city through fresh eyes and noticing quirky things I can add to the book.


Non book questions

Favourite holiday place?
We holidayed in Florence a few years ago and I absolutely fell in love with the place. Everything about it made me want to write! I’m also a big fan of New York – we’re heading out there again later in the year and I can’t wait. It’s such a unique city.

What kind of music do you listen to?
I genuinely like most music, but my favourite's tend to be pop/indie. From One Direction to The Kinks and The Smiths to Shed Seven – if it’s got a good tune and lyrics I can relate to, I’ll like it.

Favourite film?
Love Actually is probably my favourite film – but then romance is a big part of my life! I also love Grease, 500 Days of Summer and West Side Story, and have seen them all numerous times.

Favourite Chocolate?
I love peanuts with chocolate so I’d say Star Bar or Peanut M and Ms. I’m hungry now!

Katey Lovell is fanatical about words. An avid reader, writer and poet, she once auditioned for Countdown and still tapes the show every night. Getting the conundrum before the contestants is her ultimate thrill.

She loves love and strives to write feel-good romance that'll make you laugh and cry in equal measure.

Originally from South Wales, Katey now lives in Yorkshire with her husband and their seven year old son.


No comments:

Post a Comment